Thursday, June 25, 2009

Urgency

2 Timothy 4:8
Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

The crown of righteousness is reserved for all who have endured suffering, lived righteously and diligently served God's kingdom anticipating His immanent return. This means that ministry must take on a sense of urgency, as if this race could end around any corner and especially the next one. Imagine a race in which the runners bend the last curve to reveal the white tape and rather than burst into an all out sprint to win the race, each one begins to stroll casually. Ridiculous! Yet many believers run the race of faith in such a manner. They have grown content with the kingdom as it is and have no sense of urgency about its coming. Their walk and ministry is marked by convenience and comfort as they patiently wait for opportunities to arrive. It's almost as if their storing up something for after the finish line! We cannot run this way. We must run the race with perseverance and urgency, pursuing the prize of righteousness, disciplining our body, mind and spirit to push past opposition and obstacles and to honor His kingdom (1 Cor. 9:24-27). Without this sense of urgency, the race marked out before us is nothing more than a stroll in the park, lacking path, purpose and prize.
Do I live with such urgency? Do I serve when it's not convenient? Do I give and sacrifice when I'm already spent? Do I create opportunities when all obvious paths are blocked? Am I living like the end is right around the next corner?

God, grant me a sense of urgency about my life, ministry and relationships. Let me leave nothing on the track of life but reach the finish line fully spent with no regrets and nothing left but the victors' crown of righteousness. Amen.

No comments: