Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Empty faith...

2 Timothy 3:1,5
(1)But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: (2) For men will be... (5)having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!

Godliness can take on many forms; religion, ritual, piety, appearance, membership, participation, tradition, speech and language, symbolism, even religious positions of authority. However, godliness without the power of God is empty, vein and pointless. True godliness comes with tremendous power.
Does my form of godliness contain great power? Do I deny or believe that God will answer my prayers in miraculous ways? Does He? Do I deny or proclaim His Word, the Gospel of Truth with boldness expecting others to come to repentance and salvation? Do they? Do I deny or claim the power of the Holy Spirit within me to life a private and public life of purity that is above reproach? Do I? Do I deny or reflect the image of God within me, displaying His ongoing work of sanctification through servanthood and sacrifice so that others are blessed? Are they?
If my prayers, proclamation, personal purity and provisions for others do not obviously drip with the power of God resulting in changed lives I must question my form of godliness. If my world doesn't change, if my family doesn't grow, if my church doesn't thrive, if my influence doesn't expand if my suffering doesn't deepen (2 Timothy 3:12)... if my life lacks obvious power, I must question God's presence within it.

Father, fill me with Your presence and power that I may know Your Spirit is within me and others may experience You power through me. Let my form of Godliness match what You desire to fill. Amen.

No comments: