Friday, June 19, 2009

Loving, sharing, enduring...

2 Timothy 2:10
"Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory."

Paul endured chains, prison, beatings, stoning and so much more all for the sake of Christ's elect (2 Cor. 9:23-28). What do I endure? What am I willing to endure?
I'm often dissuaded by tiredness, awkwardness, cynicism, cultural etiquette, my busy schedule and my own comfort. I know this is wrong. If I truly loved my neighbor as myself I would push past my shallow, pathetic, self-centered excuses and share with them the greatest news of eternal glory. This is what drove Paul's passion for sharing the Gospel; love for Christ's elect. Since there is no way of knowing who is and who is not God's elect this side of heaven, Paul loved and served everyone whose path he crossed (1 Cor. 9:19-22). I ind that I am more in love with my own comfort or reputation than with those who are dying and in jeopardy of eternal suffering or those who may be God's own children. This is why Jesus instructed His disciples that anyone who desires to follow him must "deny himself, take up his cross DAILY and follow Him" (Matthew 16:24). If I am not denying myself daily, am I really following Jesus? If I do not love my neighbor enough to share the Gospel, do I really love Jesus?

God - help me develop a deeper love for the lost. Teach me to deny myself and follow You. Change my heart so that I am willing to endure all things for the sake of Your elect. Amen.

No comments: