Monday, March 29, 2010

Burden and blessing

Matthew 10:28-30
“Come to me all who are weary and heavy burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart., and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden in light.”

Jesus is not a cruel, demanding master. He is not ignorant of our struggles (Heb. 4:14-16). When He calls the weary to join Him in His work, He is not overbearing and unreasonable. Jesus understands our humanity, our weaknesses, our pains. He too felt weary, experienced loss, wept for friends, cried out to God, hungered and thirsted. Much more than not being an overbearing master, Jesus humbly bears our burdens and lightens our load. He bore our sins on the cross, He bears our infirmities through the Holy Spirit dwelling in us, He eases our worries by His Word and receives our cries for help, exchanging them for His peace (Phil 4:6-7).
To walk with Jesus in this life is not cumbersome but liberating. To learn from Him then is both our responsibility and our reward, our calling and our comfort, our burden to bear and our blessing. He is a gentle and humble master who walks with us and teaches us to walks as He has walked (1 John 2:6).

Father, humble me and let me learn from You. Break my will to walk alone or go my own way. Let me trust Your yoke and Your guidance. Teach me to walk with You and let You take the lead. Let me know Your rest and reward as I walk and work with You. Amen.

No comments: