Thursday, March 25, 2010

Am I Willing?

Matthew 8:3
"Then Jesus put out His hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing; be cleansed.” Immediately his leprosy was cleansed"

Jesus is not content to stand at a distance and heal the leper with a word - He touched him. Holy, but fully human, Jesus touched what society and self preservation would say was untouchable. Jesus touched what even the leper thought was untouchable, unlovable, unimportant and impossible. More was healed by that touch than just the leprosy.
And when I read Jesus' words, "I AM... willing" I get the idea that He's reminding us of God's willingness to give His Son to cleanse us from a similar disease that, in many ways, renders us untouchable by God. Yet He took on flesh so to touch us where we most needed to be healed. And His healing touch heals more than just sin.
Am I willing to to the same? Am I willing to touch others where they need it most? Can I get past societal expectations, taboos, conventional wisdom, religious legalism and self preservation to sacrificially touch others where they hurt most? If I've been touched by the healing hand of Jesus, shouldn't I be willing and eager to touch others?

Father - help me set myself aside and honor You by toughing others. Help me to be a healer. Amen.

No comments: