Friday, March 19, 2010

fishers of men

Matthew 4:19-20
"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him."

What was it about Jesus invitation that caused Peter and Andrew to immediately drop their nets and follow Him. Considering the chronology of the other Gospels, especially John, this was not their first encounter with Him. I wonder if the phrase "fisher of men" was really all that intriguing or if it was more familiar? I wonder if this triggered thoughts of Jeremiah 16:16 and God's promise to restore Israel? Was this their catch phrase to being calling home the lost sheep which Jesus claimed to have come for (Matt. 10:6 & 15:24)? This would have been not only a great honor, but a personal honor since Peter and Andrew lived in Gentile territory and probably felt like outsiders (4:13-16). If this ideas was in their minds at the time of Jesus calling then they must also have thought of their own "catching" by Jesus. The joy of being called and the excitement to be selected by such a Rabbi would have been both their model for fishing and their motivation to fish.
So... is my experience of being caught by Jesus so personal and powerful that it motivates me to fish? Have I been caught?... really caught, not just snagged by the Gospel? If I truly know what it means to be caught by Jesus, shouldn't my life be filled with a lot more fishing?

Lord, make me a better fisher of men. Amen.

No comments: