Wednesday, March 31, 2010

faith

Matthew 13:58
“And He did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.”

At first read it sees that Jesus refused to help hurting people because of their lack of faith. However, when we hold this passage next to parallel passages we find Mark 6:5-6 reveals that “He could not do many miracles because of their lack of faith.” Yes, it says that Jesus could not do something!
Jesus ability to heal was directly proportionate to the faith that He had to work with. Hebrews 11:6 says that “without faith it is impossible to please God.” I think that means more than just making God happy. I think it’s more about removing the barriers between us and God so that He can freely work.
In Acts 14:9 Paul’s healing of the lame man only came when he recognized the man’s faith. Faith is the essential element to miracles and God’s work in our lives. And all it takes is faith the size of a mustard seed to see God move mountains (Matthew 17:20).
And faith differs from hope in that faith is active. We exercise our faith by actions, good deeds and sacrifice (Js 2:26, Phil 2:12, 1 Tim. 6:12, Phm. 6). Those who were healed by Jesus all demonstrated active faith: the bleeding woman touched Jesus (Mt. 9:21), the royal official went to Jesus and took Him at His word (Jn. 4:47,50), the leper fell at Jesus’ feet and begged Him (Mk. 1:40), the centurion crossed the lines, humbled himself and submitted under Jesus’ authority (Mt. 8:8-9). Faith is not an ambiguous spiritual theory but the very substance of God’s work and the fuel that drives us to Jesus that He may work.
So, what have I provided for Christ to work with? What do I bring to Jesus? Could Jesus see enough faith in me to work with?

Father – deepen my faith and drive me to You. May I see your mighty power at work in me and through me. Amen.

No comments: