Monday, March 22, 2010

distinct love

Matthew 5:44-45a
But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven;

What distinguishes me as a Christ-follower, different from the world and other religious people, is not my theology, my piety or my purity (though all are very important). It is my ability to love even my enemies that distinguishes me from all others. My distinction is found in my ability to love my enemies as Jesus loved His enemies and died for them (Rom. 5:6-10).
Jesus' challenge here is not passive or one dimensional but active and thorough; we are to love verbally (bless), actually (do good) and spiritually (pray for). There is nothing to hold back from our enemies regarding our love and God's.
My biggest struggle with this verse is that I do not have many enemies. But, then again, who needs enemies when I fail to love even my family, friends and neighbors in this manner?

Father - teach me to set myself aside and live for others. Teach me to set aside selfishness, arguing, agendas, pride and ambition so that others may see You in me. Let me be known only by my love and nothing else. Amen.

No comments: