Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Repentance

Revelation 9:20
The rest of mankind that were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshiping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood—idols that cannot see or hear or walk.

Repentance is more than just saying sorry. True repentance begins with a deep sorrow and regret for what we have done. Sorrow and regret must then be confessed to the one we have offended, God alone (Psalm 51:4). Yet repentance is not complete until one turns from his sinful way, abandons his sin and pursues God's righteousness.
Many people will experience sorrow and regret for words and deeds that have caused them pain but never get outside themselves to understand that they have offended a perfect and Holy God. For some, no matter the severity of the consequences, they may never come to acknowledge this and consequentially turn back to God.
So what keeps me from true repentance in my life? Is it a lack of understanding, lack of courage, lack of will (love of my sin) or just plain laziness? There is no excuse before God for unrepentant sin.

Father - forgive me for my rebellious ways. Open my eyes to know my sin. Strengthen my heart and my resolve to turn away from wickedness. Teach me to hate my sin and to hunger for righteousness. Amen.

No comments: