Tuesday, March 30, 2010

words that condemn and acquit

Matthew 12:36-37
“But I tell you that men with have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted and by your words you will be condemned.”

Our words are important because they reveal the contents of our hearts (Matt 12:34). If I use vulgar words, my heart is full of vulgar things – full to the point of overflowing! If I gossip, I am full of judgment, envy or pride. If I wound others with harsh words I am full of anger, bitterness or jealousy. My words condemn because they reveal my heart condition. Even my words that are carelessly chosen and spoken are condemning. When I fail to be sensitive to those around me, when I hold back and water down my witness, when I am short or dismissive with a response… my words condemn me. They reveal that while there may be an absence of wickedness (for a moment), there is no presence of God’s Spirit, His Truth or love for people (Matt 12:43-45).
Yet my words also acquit. My confession that “Jesus is Lord” reveals my heart’s believe in a resurrected Savior (Rom. 10:9). My acknowledgment of Jesus before me reveals my relationship with Him and my connection to the Father (Matt 10:32-33). My words of Truth reveal that the Holy Spirit lives in me along with His Word and I am no longer in control; He is.
So what types of words have been coming from me lately? What do my words reveal about the condition of my heart? Do my words condemn or acquit?

Father – change my heart and help me to remove the wickedness inside that produces careless words. Fill my heart with Your Holy Spirit and Your Truth that I may speak words that acquit and words that minister to others. Let my words reveal You to those who listen. Amen.

No comments: