Thursday, March 18, 2010

Repentence

Matthew 3:8
"Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance"

The Pharisees and Sadducees came to John out of curiosity at best and perhaps more accurately posturing for popular approval (3:7). They liked having the appearance of piety but never let it get deeper than their flowing ropes and private parking spaces at the temple (Luke 20:46-47). They prayed loud, lengthy prayers in public places for their own benefit and their repentance (if it could even be called repentance) was guarded, disingenuous and fake - born out of ego rather than humility.
True repentance renders us humble, vulnerable, honest, broken and blind to others opinions of us. If repentance does not bring us to our knees, it will never bring us to the cross. If we never experience brokenness from our sin, we'll never experience forgiveness from our sin.
Do I play games with repentance? Have I let repentance become casual lip service rather than soul searching, heart breaking, life changing confession? Am I more concerned that other people think I'm holy than I am with truly being holy? Am I more concerned with others' opinion of me than I am with God's opinion of me?
Humility is the first step toward holiness. Repentance is the first step toward righteousness.

Lord, humble me. Help me to see and hate my sin. Let me be broken by my brokenness and teach me true repentance that I might honor You above all else. Amen.

No comments: