Thursday, June 5, 2008

Does Love compel us?

2 Corinthians 5:14-15
"For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again."

Have I fallen in love with Jesus or the thought of Jesus? Is Jesus just the afterthought of my life or does His work for me on the cross compel me toward obedience? Is Jesus an emotional pick-me-up or is He my deepest passion? The thought of Jesus is a part of my daily life - He does make a difference. However to be honest I don't think His love for me compels me. At times I am compelled - but far more often I am my own compulsion - pleasing me. What a difference it would make to focus and meditate on the cross (not just the Bible) at the start of every day. I bet my life would look different if I looked first at Calvary instead of my calendar, creation instead of conditions, the cross instead of the clock as my day got started.

Jesus - may Your love for me compel me to follow You in full obedience each day. Make Your love for me be my first thought. Bring me to a better view of the cross each day and become my motivation for all that I do. Amen.

No comments: