Monday, June 30, 2008

Mourning into Dancing

Psalm 30:11-12
"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,
To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent.
O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever."

God's promise is not exemption from mourning. We will face trials, loss and deep sadness in life. In fact, that is Jesus' promise, "In this world you will have trouble," (John 16:33b). Christ Himself mourned at the death of Lazarus and anguished over His own death as He prepared in the garden of Gethsemane.
But even as Christ promised that "In this world you will have trouble," He completed this promise by reminding us, "take heart! I have overcome the world," (John 16:33).
It is only by the mighty work of God that we are able to overcome the trials and loss of this life. It is only in the light of the cross that our mourning is turned to dancing, our sackcloth is turned to gladness and our grief to singing songs of glory and gratitude.
Through the cross I have reconciliation with my God and Maker. I have access to the source of all joy and gladness. The mourning of this life is not my only option.
Through the cross, I can be certain that my God and Savior, my Lord understands and identifies with my trial. He is fully able to sympathize with my situation because He has been there (Heb. 4:14-16). I am not alone.
"Though my sorrow may last for a night, His joy comes with the morning," (Psalm 30:5).

Mourning will cease. Morning is coming. Joy and dancing are on the horizon.

Father, thank You for the morning and new days filled with dancing and singing. Thank You for the cross because of which You walk with me. May my life be filled with singing and dancing for Your Glory. Make me a man of gratitude. Make me to teach others to sing and dance as well. Amen.

No comments: