Thursday, June 19, 2008

Gladness

Psalm 4:7
"You have put gladness in my heart,
More than in the season that their grain and wine increased."

What makes me glad? What puts a smile on my face and lightens my heart? Is it the Lord? Do the things of God bring me joy? While there is nothing wrong with the gladness that comes from other things (grain and wine) the Joy of God should be noticeably greater. All good and perfect gifts come from God (James 1:17). Therefore, I when I take pleasure in anything I should be able to find God within and through it. The key is to live according to Psalm 1:2 - delighting in the law of the Lord, meditating on His Word day and night. God's Word gives me the perspective to delight in life and see the Lord in each delight. This perspective brings gladness - gladness that surpasses common pleasures and common things.

God - write Your Word on my heart and let me delight in Your ways. Fill me with gladness and make me a testimony to Your constant goodness. Amen.

No comments: