Monday, June 16, 2008

Suffering... for Christ's Sake

2 Corinthians 12:10
"Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

I understand the concept Paul writes about here. I know that His grace is sufficient for me and that I'll never know, receive or reflect that grace apart from my weaknesses and trials. However I still avoid, in action and thought, all signs of trial; infirmities, reproach, needs, persecution, distress. I am not pleased to suffer these things as Paul wrote. And the more that I meditate on this verse I am convinced the reason (and lesson) is found in the short and overlooked phrase "for Christ's sake." More often than not I live for my own sake. And the trials I find myself in are not for His sake but because I chose to live for my sake. In this case I am weak... period. I should not expect sufficient grace but sufficient discipline - "for God disciplines those He loves, (Prov. 3:12, Heb 12:6). And I must never confuse the two; trials for Christ's sake and trials of discipline. And yet, I should desire and boast in both; for they are both a work of God for my continued sanctification.

Lord - bring me trials for Your sake. Teach me to life this way... for Your sake. Amen.

No comments: