Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Clear Conscience

Acts 24:16
This being so, I myself always strive to have a conscience without offense toward God and men.

Paul's strive was not favor nor peace. His aim was a clear conscience. The offense he avoided was not hurt feelings or differing opinions or intolerance. Paul was purposeful not to offend either God or man by sinning. His aim was purity not popularity, faithfulness, not favor. And while he attempted to be received by all men, his obedience clearly offended his fellow Jews. As Peter wrote quoting Isaiah 8:14, Jesus would be the "stone that makes man stumble and a rock that makes them fall" (1 Peter 2:7-9). This stone the builders rejected had become the capstone, putting great pressure on the stones laid before. The weight of the claims of Christ, and Paul's obedience to them, were too much for the rulers to bear - even while Paul professed to be all things to all men (even Jews) in order to win them to Christ (1 Cor. 9:19-20). Paul's offense was not in his behavior but in his obedience to a way contrary to the hearts and minds of sinful men. Do I seek to be accepted or favored or to not offend? I should seek obedience first and accept whatever follows by the grace of God.

Lord - may my offense be found in my obedience alone, not my attitude. Amen.

No comments: