Monday, October 6, 2008

To be found worthy...

Acts 23:11
But the following night the Lord stood by him and said, “Be of good cheer, Paul; for as you have testified for Me in Jerusalem, so you must also bear witness at Rome.”

Here in Jerusalem, Paul was beaten, imprisoned, betrayed and cheated... and God's response is "be of good cheer"... more is coming. Paul's cheer and joy came in knowing that the Gospel was being preached and that God was using him in such an audience as Jerusalem and Rome. Paul was glad to be found worthy of such suffering - such pressure for the sake of the Gospel.
Where do I find my joy and gladness? Is my joy in comfort or personal advancement or popularity or relationships or status?... too often the answer is yes.
I wonder what it would be like to be found worthy to suffer for the Gospel? What would I have to do or change to be called into such a ministry? I guess Paul didn't wait for such a ministry to arise but instead pursued Jerusalem and all the suffering that he was warned about.

God, give me the courage to pursue the most challenging of ministries for Your sake, for the sake of Your Gospel. Let my joy be found in You alone. Amen.

No comments: