Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Awake and Alert...

1 Peter 5:8
"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour."

I get the image here of a hunter who, with gun in hand, has gotten drunk and passed out on his own front porch as a roaring (yes loudly) lion casually approaches for the easy kill. As believers we possess powerful weapons of spiritual warfare (Eph. 6:12-18), we have strong shelter in Christ (Prov. 18:10), we have been given the very sharp mind of the Spirit (1 Cor. 2:16) - and yet we tend to get drunk on pride or self-centeredness and fail to even see the obvious dangers right in front of us. As believers, servants for the advancement of God's kingdom, we are even greater targets for the Devil. He is not lazy nor careless in his pursuit of us (Job 1:9, 2:7, Zech. 3:1, Luke 4:1-2, Luke 22:31). His aim is not to maim us but to consume us and our lives completely; our faith, our character, our passion, our time, our families, our relationships, our churches... leaving nothing behind. The stakes are very high. I cannot relax, coast, take for granted or become content in my walk with Jesus or my dependence on the Holy Spirit. I must resist the devil with everything I've got (1 Peter 5:9, James 4:7).

Father - make me keenly aware of the spiritual danger in my life. Keep me humble, sober-minded and vigilant for the attacks of the Devil. Strengthen my resolve to resist temptations and defeat the accusations of my enemy. Preserve and protect me, me and my family and my family of faith. Amen.

No comments: