Friday, January 23, 2009

Suffering in His Steps

1 Peter 2:19-21
For this is commendable, if because of conscience toward God one endures grief, suffering wrongfully. 20 For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God. 21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us,[f] leaving us[g] an example, that you should follow His steps."

To follow in the steps of Jesus is to take the path of righteousness and wrongful suffering. Perhaps no other word describes the life and ministry of Jesus better than suffering. Ordinary men will suffer for their faults but we are commended when we, like Jesus, patiently endure suffering for righteousness, doing good for the sake of God's glory. If my life is not marked by such suffering or even hints of it, I must ask myself if I am truly following in His steps. To this, to suffering for righteousness, I was called. I was not called to comfort or happiness or peace or praise or honor or influence. I was called to holiness (1 Peter 1:16) that leads to suffering. So when I suffer, I should not ask God why or beg for mercy but instead rejoice to be counted worthy to walk in His steps and to bring such glory to God. This is my calling. I want to be Holy, to suffer in His steps.

God take away my fear and timidity. Make me bold to speak out and step out in holy obedience to You. Make me less selfish and less busy so that I may follow in Your steps. Teach me to suffer for Your glory, to be found worthy to walk after Jesus. Amen.

No comments: