Thursday, January 22, 2009

Holiness - to be like Him

1 Peter 1:14-16
as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.” (Lev. 11:44-45)

1 Peter 1 is so packed full of deep and beautiful passages that I had a hard time focusing on just one. I must have read and reread this chapter 5 times. This portion however is so inspiring and challenging that I kept coming back to it. Oh to be Holy!

When do children become obedient children?... Not obedient out of fear or consequences, but out of character, values and truth. This obedience comes when a child matures and understands the character of their parent who has guided them through the lust and impulsiveness of ignorance. To know the Father and to have an intimate relationship with Him is to know His Holiness - the motivation of His calling and the fabric of His character, His nature. Then the relationship deepens and we desire to be like Him, not simply obey Him. I want to be Holy because my Heavenly Father, the Great I AM is HOLY.
Like a child who walks through the house in his father's shoes, tie and hat or her mothers jewelry and heals, we must take joy in reflecting the image and character of our Heavenly Father. To know Him is to desire to be like Him.

Heavenly Father - make me Holy. Let me know you and fill me with a desire to be like you in every way, in all my conduct. I want to he Holy. Amen.

No comments: