Monday, January 26, 2009

good husband

1 Peter 3:7
"Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered."

My blessing, my inheritance from God, is directly ties to my relationship to my wife. We are one flesh and I, being the head and more sturdy, common vessel, am responsible to fill her up with love, honor and respect. The image I get here is of a clunky tea kettle filling a fine china cup with sweet smelling tea. When I neglect to fill my wife, I neglect my own calling and forfeit the blessing of that relationship as well as the blessing of my relationship with God (Prov. 19:14).
In every instance where the phrase "dwell with" is used in the New Testament,it is referring to either marriage (3 times) or God's dwelling within us (5 times). This means that my understanding and honor regarding my wife ought to be as constant and unchanging as the Spirit's presence within me. As God lives in me, so I live for my wife. Similarly, as I live for my wife, so God's Spirit lives within me; neglect for neglect, honor for honor, blessing for blessing. We are in this life together, as one-flesh heirs of God's good gifts. It is my duty and privilege and in my best interest to fulfill this role and invite God's blessing into our marriage.

Father - make me a better husband. Humble me and strengthen my ministry to my wife. Let me fill her more with blessing and honor and respect. Make me more understanding. Draw us close together as we draw close to You and hear our prayers for Your pleasure. Amen.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

amen!! i am so grateful to have a husband who is listening to God's word and trying to live by it. thank you for your example and for leading me.