Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Lord's kindness

Ruth 2:20
Then Naomi said to her daughter-in-law, “Blessed be he of the LORD, who has not forsaken His kindness to the living and the dead!”

In contrast to Israel according to Judges 21:25, Boaz did not forsake the Lord but did what was right in the eyes of his heavenly king. Boaz must have been a man of God's Word - knowing the laws concerning aliens among Israel and God demand for hospitality.

Exodus 22:21-23
"Do not mistreat an alien or oppress him, for you were aliens in Egypt. Do not take advantage of a widow or an orphan. If you do and they cry out to me, I will certainly hear their cry.

Leviticus 19:10
Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the LORD your God. (also 23:22)

Leviticus 19:33
'When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him.

Leviticus 19:34
The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Again, in contract to the men of Gibeah who would not even welcome their own Levite into their homes (Judges 19:15) Boaz clearly demonstrated the Lord's kindness toward both Ruth and Naomi, as well as their deceased husbands, his kin. Just as God's kindness is everlasting, so was Boaz'. He went above and beyond the law in his kindness toward others.
So where are my limits when it comes to kindness? If my kindness has limits it is not of the Lord.

Father - make me more kind. Help me go above and beyond Your law and let my kindness to others be limitless that I may reveal Your glory in all I do. Amen.

No comments: