Monday, January 12, 2009

Religious Idol

Judges 8:27
"Then Gideon made it into an ephod and set it up in his city, Ophrah. And all Israel played the harlot with it there. It became a snare to Gideon and to his house."

After God's great victory though Gideon, the people beg to make Gideon their ruler (7:22). "But Gideon said to them, 'I will not rule over you, nor shall my son rule over you; the LORD shall rule over you"(8:23). Gideon's heart was right. His theology was right. So what happened between verse 23 and 27?

The ephod was a highly ornate garment worn only by the priest. Over the ephod, the priest would wear an equally ornate breastplate by which the Lord would speak to His people. These two garments were signs and symbols of God's authority and rule over Israel. I'm sure that Gideon chose carefully the garment which he erected. His intentions were to remind Israel that God would rule over them. However, even this simple religious symbol became an idol and a snare to the people. Why? Was it ignorance? Forgetfulness? Laziness? Pride?

How often have I made my religion my pride rather than the God who called me to it? how often have I made even good and godly things my joy rather than the Lord?... church, Scripture, prayer, worship, service, etc.... How often has my theology been true and yet my path off course?

I must keep Jesus Christ ever before me as my only joy and guide. As Paul wrote in Philippians 3:8, "What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ." Even these great things of God are loss if I do not keep Jesus Christ as the center of my life and focus.

Father, help me fix my eyes on Jesus only and always. Save me from even the good things of my faith that tempt to take the place of Christ. Make me true to You in motive, theology, and practice. Amen.

No comments: