Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Stupid Faith

Judges 11:30-31
"And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD, and said, “If You will indeed deliver the people of Ammon into my hands, 31 then it will be that whatever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the people of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD’s, and I will offer it up as a burnt offering.”

This is stupid. Jephthah already won the favor of Israel (11:6,10-11). He knew the story of God's favor with Israel concerning the land of Moab and Ammon (11:14-23). His theology was even correct and reliable - God already judged and would remain true to His judgment (11:24,27). Most notable, God had already given Jephthah His Spirit to dwell with him, guide him and grant him victory (11:29). So why does Jephthah make this ridiculous vow? Is he posturing for his brothers and Israel, for the appearance of righteousness? Is he hedging his bets in case God were to change His mind? Was he using God to rid himself of something or someone in his house, an unwanted house guest? Whatever the reason, this is stupid! God does not need our promises nor our silly sacrifices to accomplish His work. God cannot be manipulated (11:27). There is no "if" in God - He will be true to His character, Word, will and work regardless of my petition or offering.
And yet, I too make stupid promises with God. And I make myself out to be foolish, faithless,prideful, deceitful and impulsive when God works His plan. God does not need my promises, just my obedience.

Father, strengthen my faith that I may walk in obedience.
1 Samuel 15:22
But Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD ? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams."

No comments: