Thursday, January 15, 2009

Whose Strength?

Judges 16:28 & 30
Then Samson called to the LORD, saying, “O Lord GOD, remember me, I pray! Strengthen me, I pray, just this once, O God, that I may with one blow take vengeance on the Philistines for my two eyes!”
And he pushed with all his might, and the temple fell on the lords and all the people who were in it.

Throughout Sampson's many battles the text reads, "and the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon him," (14:6, 19, 15:14). However here in Sampson's final and most impressive act, it is not God's might that is displayed, but his own. Judges 16:20 reveals that Sampson's strength had left him along with the presence and favor of the Lord.
When we, like Sampson, get drunk on our own accomplishments or God's work through us, when we get prideful and arrogant, we find ourselves alone and operating out of our own strength when we most need His. We may still do mighty works and accomplish God's will, however the cost will be great.
Ironically, this final prayer is the only time in Judges that we find Sampson praying, talking to or even acknowledging God. By this time it is too late.
Unlike Sampson, I must stay humble and humbly connected to God in prayer if I am to expect His might to live in and through me.

Father - humble me to give you Glory and live in and by Your might and strength.

2 comments:

Tina said...

Funny - I have been reading Judges myself this week, & just last night about Samson.
I have a book that is taking me thru the bible in different sections. At first I thought Judges was very weird, all the fighting, but I'm liking it more

I look forward to your daily words

Tina

Pete said...

the end gets a little weird again. This is really a transition book that explains Israel's gradual hardening which leads to exile and judgment. The final verse really caps off what the author is trying to say. The coolest part is the amount of grace and mercy God demonstrates throughout this book to an obstinate people. Ultimately, God's mercy would be found in their demise and the arrival of Jesus Christ, the ultimate savior; greater than judges or kings. He will be King of Kings and righteous Judge and will rule forever in an everlasting kingdom. What comfort!