Friday, January 16, 2009

Shadows of Spirituality

Judges 17:5
"The man Micah had a shrine, and made an ephod and household idols; and he consecrated one of his sons, who became his priest."

What was Micah after in this story? Why embrace the shadows of spirituality or religion? What blessing could possibly be found in partial obedience or empty symbols? These symbols, office and practices are nothing without devotion to the God of these. They are intended to point us to God, however far too often they take the place of God.
I've seen worship take the place of the God we connect with in worship. I've seen the church become a higher symbol of God's presence than his very presence within us. The fellowship of the body can be exalted higher than the Head, which is Jesus Christ. Even the Word of God can become more precious than the Word made flesh (Jn. 1:14).
We must be careful not to gather around us the shadows (symbols, offices, practices) of religion and accept a false piety. True religion is falling in love with Jesus Christ above all else and living out that love in full obedience to Him. Anything short of this is empty, ineffective, unfulfilling and false. In the end, like Micah, we will find destruction. However if my hope and love is in the Lord, these shadows point me to Him, the substance of true spirituality.

Father - deepen my love for you. Fill me with hope in You above all things. Guard me from the shadows of spirituality and the temptation of religiosity. Let my love lead to full obedience and devotion to You alone. Amen.

No comments: