Friday, January 2, 2009

Discipline & Deliverance

Judges 4:1
When Ehud was dead, the children of Israel again did evil in the sight of the LORD.

Seven times in the book of Judges we find the phrase, "Israel did evil in the sight of the Lord." Seven is the Biblical number for completeness or perfection. It's as if God is trying to communicate to us the complete depravity of man and the complete and perfect righteousness and love He has for us.
Each time Israel does evil, God uses the enemies within (those nations the people refused or failed to drive out) to discipline His people and draw them into repentance. Each time God responds to their repentance and cries with a judge and deliverer to rescue them from their suffering.
Both the discipline and deliverance of Israel demonstrate God's great mercy. Through discipline Israel rediscovers their faith, character and obedience. Through deliverance the people experience again the love, grace, mercy and protection of God.
We can't expect His grace, mercy and love without His discipline. These blessings go together and strengthen our relationship with God. The next time I experience His discipline I can know two things for sure; (1) He is not done with me, He's still pursuing me even in my sin, (2) His deliverance is coming, He will not leave me to suffer.

I praise You Father for your discipline and deliverance that work hand-in-hand to make me more like You. Teach me to accept these blessings and grow through them. Make me more like Jesus. Amen.

No comments: