Wednesday, September 17, 2008

As they Ministered to the Lord...

Acts 13:2
"As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said...."

I often wonder why I rarely hear from the Holy Spirit. I ask and pray for His guidance and that I would hear His voice. I spend plenty of time in the Scriptures. My full time job is to minister to the Lord in His church. So what am I missing?
I'm not suggesting that there is a formula that I can follow that automatically unlocks the Holy Spirit. I don't believe God can be manipulated this way. That was Simon the magicians sin in Acts 8. However, there has to be a way to organically and authentically connect with the Holy Spirit of God every day... at all times even. We see this pattern in Jesus and in the apostles here in Acts. They spoke of Him and to Him in such a way that makes me believe that He was right there next to them as much as was Barnabas or Mark or Silas.
In this passage, what strikes me most is the smallest word... "as." These guys didn't set aside time to be pious and meditate. They didn't hole themselves up in the mountains to copy texts, write letters or purify themselves. These guys got dirty connecting with the lost in the synagogues and cities where people most needed the news of the Gospel. They did not avoid the poor or the needy, they ministered! And "AS" they went about the work of the Lord, in prayer, the Word of the Lord came to them through the Holy Spirit.
While there is time and need to get away and alone (as Jesus did) I can't forget that God most often spoke while the apostles were obeying and ministering as God has already commanded. As I get busy with the work of God, ministering, I can't get so distracted by what I'm doing that I don't hear the Holy Spirit redirect me and subtly guide me. As I minister, I am not a problem solver or an event coordinator. I am the very representation and message of Christ to those around me. I must be in tune with the Holy Spirit.

God, slow me down and help me focus on You. Sharpen my ears to hear Your voice as I minister. Make me see opportunities to follow You and lead others to Your grace. Amen.

No comments: