Thursday, September 18, 2008

Enduring Faith

Acts 14:21-22
And when they had preached the gospel to that city and made many disciples, they returned to Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch, 22 strengthening the souls of the disciples, exhorting them to continue in the faith, and saying, “We must through many tribulations enter the kingdom of God.”

As the great commission was being fulfilled, the apostles and especially Paul, came to understand the fullness of the commission. To accomplish what they were called to do would mean suffering, sacrifice and persecution. It would demand their comfort, their hopes and dreams, their time (all of it) and their lives! It would require resolve, strength, exhortation, unity and accountability. Tribulation was not an option or possibility; it was the only reality through which their faith would continue. For Paul, easy, cheap faith was no faith at all.
So why do I complain or get depressed when things doing go my way?... forget about tribulation, at times I can't even get over my own attitude or emotions! I feel so weak in faith.

God - strengthen my soul and my faith. Make my faith something of substance - however you wish. Let me see beyond myself and find an enduring faith to both promote and enter into the kingdom of God. Amen.

No comments: