Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Seed planting & harvesting

Acts 8:5-8
"Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria and preached Christ to them. 6 And the multitudes with one accord heeded the things spoken by Philip, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. 7 For unclean spirits, crying with a loud voice, came out of many who were possessed; and many who were paralyzed and lame were healed. 8 And there was great joy in that city."

I wonder if Philip knew that Jesus planted a seed at the Samaritan well years earlier? I wonder if the woman at that well in John 4 was still around to encounter Philip and his words and wondrous works? Were the people still focused on the prophet and messiah that passed through their forgotten city? Were they still waiting for His return and triumph? John 4:39 says that many believed in Jesus as prophet and Messiah. Here they complete their faith and take Him as their personal Savior and Lord. And just as Jesus said, the time had come to worship in Spirit and in Truth - no longer was it a matter of public location, alternate sites or general redemption, it was now personal, authentic and genuine.
I wonder how often Jesus Himself has planted a seed for me to tend to... just to watch me pass up the opportunity to water and harvest something miraculous? How often have I let my fear or prejudice prevent me from seeing the harvest prepared for me by Jesus Himself? (John 4:38)

God - give me ears to ear Your Spirit's leading. Give me boldness to speak and faith to know that you have gone before me planting seed. Keep me from fear, prejudice and poor thinking. Let me be lead by You and nothing else. Amen.

No comments: