Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Power & Faith in Jesus Name

Acts 3:6, 16, 19
-Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.”
-And His name, through faith in His name, has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
-Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,

Exactly what did Peter extend to the lame man? Faith in Jesus Christ. To the lame man it was faith for restoration - to the crowds it was faith for forgiveness and restoration. To both, was extended the opportunity for faith in the name of Jesus Christ. By faith we are saved and by faith we are healed. Like Peter, I have no power to heal. Healing comes through faith in the name of Jesus Christ. Peter wielded the power of the Holy Spirit to be a bold witness (Acts 1:8) - to call the people to experience forgiveness and refreshing (healing) for themselves... in the name of Jesus! When the name of Jesus is used, it is not to invoke power (though there is a place for this - specifically in spiritual warfare) but to invite others to experience His power through faith in that name alone.
So in my witness, what do I extend to people? Do I use the name of Jesus? Do I invite them to experience the power of forgiveness and restoration found in that name?
I must call people to faith IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST - for the purpose of restoration and refreshing. I cannot shy away from the name of Jesus or the promise found in His name. This is why the Holy Spirit was given, that I may be a witness of His work wherever I go.

God - fill me with boldness to be a witness, to call others to faith in the name of Jesus - to invite them to experience the restoration and refreshing found only through faith in His name. Amen.

1 comment:

Tina said...

It is awesome to see God act in you when you go out in faith. Sometimes you don't notice it right away, but when you are looking back--WOW!