Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cut to the Heart... hearing the Holy Spirit

Acts 7:54-55
"When they heard these things they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed at him with their teeth. 55 But he, being full of the Holy Spirit...."
Acts 2:37
"Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”
Acts 7:51
You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you."

The other time the phrase "When they heard these things they were cut to the heart" is used, in Acts, the people are asking what they must to in obedience to the man Jesus. When the Holy Spirit moves in Acts 2:37 the result is full submission, obedience, salvation. Here, just as Stephen identified in 7:51, the stiff-necked religious leaders violently resist the Holy Spirit and His work. And just to emphasize how thoroughly they resisted the Holy Spirit, Luke contrasts their response by identifying that Stephen was "filled with the Holy Spirit."
It's mind-blowing to consider the vast difference in response and consequence. In both instances the Holy Spirit is speaking and working. The tipping point for each is found in vs. 57; "then they cried out with a loud voice, stopped their ears" Their voice was louder than the Spirit's and their ears were closed off to what He was saying.
It is so evident here in the book of Acts and even within my own life that the Holy Spirit is always at work, always speaking. I must listen - especially more-so when I am "cut to the heart." I must learn to keep my mouth shut and my ears open; to be still.
So do I have the ears to hear His voice and a circumcised heart to be cut and receive His word? Where have I stopped up my ears or hardened my heart? Where have I been moved by His prompting?

God - give me ears to hear and a sensitive heart to receive Your Holy Spirit; to discern His voice and submit to Your will. Amen.

No comments: