Friday, September 12, 2008

Those who seek Him

Acts 10:2, 4, 34, 35, 43, 44
2) a devout man and one who feared God with all his household, who gave alms generously to the people, and prayed to God always.

4) And when he observed him, he was afraid, and said, “What is it, lord?”
So he said to him, “Your prayers and your alms have come up for a memorial before God.

34) But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.

43) To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.”

44) While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.

Every once in a while I hit a verse or passage that totally taunts my nice little neat box of theology. My friend Keith would be so happy with this taunt! This story challenges the idea that "none seek after God" and there is "no one who does good, no not one" (Rom. 3:11-12). It forces me to reconsider Hebrews 11:6, "without faith it is impossible to please God." There is such a thing as a "pre-christian." God does honor those who seek glory (as in God) by good deeds (Rom. 2:5-11). God loves those who seek Him (Prov. 8:17). And I must believe that the crowd Cornelius gathered at his home put a smile on the face of God. With God's grace I can applaud good deeds and affirm that these pre-Christians are not far from the kingdom of heaven (Mark 12:34, Romans 17::26-28). And if I can put my boxy theology and prejudice aside, like Peter I can point to Christ and to the completion of their faith (10:43) - the forgiveness of sins and the fullness of the Holy Spirit (10:44).

God - help me to lay aside my prejudice and good intention; help me to hear Your voice and follow Your Holy Spirit alone. Amen.

No comments: