Thursday, September 11, 2008

Strength in the Holy Spirit

Acts 9:22
"But Saul increased all the more in strength, and confounded the Jews who dwelt in Damascus, proving that this Jesus is the Christ."

When Luke notes that Saul increased in strength he is not talking about physical strength. Saul set aside brute force, the authority of the government and his power to bind believers at the roadside to Damascus. I have to believe that his increase was in the strength of the Holy Spirit. While Saul received the Spirit through Ananias' laying on of hands in verses 17-18, I must believe it took quite a bit of work, if not a while, for him to learn how to discern the promptings of the Holy Spirit which he been resisting for so long (Acts 9:5). His strengthening and toning of his Spirit ears began back in verse 11 as he prayed. He continued to grow as he spend time in the fellowship of the believers at Damascus (vs. 19). Added to this was his worship and testimony for Christ int he Synagogue (vs. 20). And of course this all began with the vary Word of God - Jesus Christ, the risen Lord who had appeared to him on the road (vs. 4-6).
If I want to increase in strength in the Holy Spirit, I must give myself fully to the Word, worship, fellowship and prayer - just as did the early believers of Acts 2:42, just as Saul did here. There is no secret formula - simply discipline to continue steadfastly in the Word, worship, fellowship and prayer.

Father - make me disciplined in my walk with You. Strengthen me in your Spirit that You might use me more fully with each new day. Amen.

No comments: