Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lord and Savior

Acts 2:34-39
“For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he says himself:

‘ The LORD said to my Lord,
“ Sit at My right hand,
Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.”’ (Psalm 110:1)

"Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”

When Peter calls Jesus both Lord and Christ he is declaring Him to be more than the authoritative Savior, more than an honored man. By Quoting David (Psa. 110:1) declaring the coming Messiah and Lord - Peter was identifying Jesus as God Himself incarnate. Jesus too revealed as much concerning the same passage in Luke 20:41-44. Rejection of Jesus therefor is not simply refusal to follow a good man, wise teacher or even powerful, would-be king - it is rejection of God! He is not merely part of some spiritual equation for salvation, Jesus is divine, eternal God, Creator, Sustainer, Omnipotent King, God! This is why the Jews in Jerusalem were cut to the heart when Peter reminded them of what they did with this Jesus.
I love their response, "What shall we do?!!"
Seeing Jesus for who He fully is demands action, not just belief. Receiving Jesus as Lord and Savior is not merely academic - it's accepting a radical call to action, to live counter-culturally, counter-intuitively, controversially. And it's bringing others along to do the same (vs. 39).
Is this me? Is my life marked by action or simply knowledge? What have I done with Jesus today?

Jesus - remind me of who You are each day. Teach me to revere You and answer Your call to action. Cut me to the heart and convict me when I do not treat you as both Savior and God. Empower me to live boldly as I extend You to others. Be exalted in my life today. Amen.

No comments: