Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Name of Jesus

Acts 4:12
"Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

I chuckled out loud thinking about the question exchange between Peter and John and the Jewish rulers. Peter and John must have been thinking, "you want to know what?... really?... Cool! Alright, here goes... you asked for it!"
Knowing that this same group had Jesus crucified just weeks before, they could not help but proclaim the power and authority in Jesus name. Even after being told not to speak Jesus name, they couldn't help but proclaim it! (vs. 17-20).
So why do I have such a tough time with the name of Jesus? I'll say "God," or "Lord," or even "Christ" but rarely Jesus. I'm not proud of it, I'm actually embarrassed. I think its because I associate the name "Jesus" with all the children's' songs and flannel graph stories I learned in Sunday School. "Jesus" seems so juvenile. But exactly the opposite is true, when it comes to the names of God, we have given children the nuclear bomb of names! And for some reason, the older we get, we exchange this powerful name for pea shooters and sling shots. Perhaps if I better understood the power and authority in Jesus name I would speak it more often. There is not denying it - there is unimaginable power in the name of Jesus.

Jesus - fill me with boldness to proclaim your name through the power of the Holy Spirit. Teach me the power of Your name. Amen.

There's Just Something About That Name
Author Unknown

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
There's just something about that name
Master, Saviour, Jesus
Like the fragrance after the rain
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
Let all Heaven and Earth proclaim
Kings and kingdoms
Will all pass away
But there's something about that Name.

No comments: