Friday, September 5, 2008

Worthy to Suffer... for His Name

Acts 5:41-42
"So they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His name. And daily in the temple, and in every house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ."

I don't fully understand the joy of suffering, mostly because I have not suffered - for His name or any other cause. In itself, suffering is not, cannot be, a good or joyful thing. But the phrase "for His name" changes the experience completely. In suffering the apostles identified with Jesus, feeling honored to follow in His steps. Yet even more than identifying with Jesus in their suffering, their joy came from knowing they suffered for His name. This suffering was not just a response to good deeds or even revolutionary teaching, this was a direct response to their use of Jesus name. This joy and purpose came from knowing that suffering exalted the powerful and authoritative name of Jesus, by which men must be saved and may be restored. Even after the beatings, when they would be asked about their bruises and scars they would be able to exalt His name and tell their story. His name made all the difference.
So why don't I know this joy?
Perhaps if I exalted the name of Jesus more often I would at least give God a chance to count me worthy to suffer and bear His name with joy. They maybe one day I'll understand.

Father - make me bold to speak the name of Jesus Christ, my savior and God. Find me worthy to identify with Him in suffering and worthy to carry with me the scars and joy and story as I exalt Jesus name. Amen.

1 comment:

Tina said...

This is one of my favorites:

We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance character and character hope & hope does not disappoint us because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit whom he has given us

Romans 5:3-5