Monday, February 9, 2009

Blindness to sin

Psalm 69:5-6
O God, You know my foolishness;
And my sins are not hidden from You.
Let not those who wait for You, O Lord GOD of hosts, be ashamed because of me;
Let not those who seek You be confounded because of me, O God of Israel.

My sin is not hidden from God and most often it is not hidden from others. Ironically, the only one who often cannot see my sin is me. And my blind sin and foolishness has a profound and sad effect on those around me. To the believer my in brings shame, sadness and discouragement. My sin may lead those who wait on the Lord to stop waiting. Those who seek the Lord will be confused and cynical because of my sin. Those who seek the Lord may stop seeking Him altogether. Until I see and know and acknowledge my sin, I cannot control the effects of my own behavior. Until I uncover my sin, others will continue to be drawn away on account of me. Every aspect of my life my be consistent and intentional, my message must be clear. Until then and even still, my prayer must be for God to preserve and protect those around me from my own foolishness and sin.

God - help me to see my sin. Make me bold to confess it and courageous enough to change. Preserve and protect those around me; let not my foolishness draw them away from you. Amen

No comments: