Monday, February 16, 2009

To Fear Him

Psalm 86:11
Teach me Your way, O LORD;
I will walk in Your truth;
Unite my heart to fear Your name.

What does it mean to "fear" the Lord? I know I am supposed to respect and revere Him but it seems like so much more. His works are amazing and powerful. His judgment is true and right. His justice is swift and complete. I should literally fear such a God whom I am so unlike. To know Him is to fear Him. To be united to the Lord, to know Him intimately, will produce in me a healthy and righteous fear that will cause me to walk in His truth. Apart from this fear, I am prone to wander into lies, to walk in my own way, to offend my terrible God. It is this fear that leads me back to His ways, to His truth, to His mercy and grace, to His peace (Psa 85:10).
To know Him is to fear Him; to fear Him is to obey Him.
To not obey Him is to not fear Him; to not fear Him is to not know Him.
This alone is a fearful thought.

Father - teach me to fear You. Teach me to know You in such a way that I will walk in Your truth and obey You in all ways. Let my conduct reflect an intimate knowledge of You and display Your truth. Keep me from lies and teach me to fear You. Amen.

No comments: