Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Selfish

Psalm 77:1-3
I cried out to God with my voice—
To God with my voice;
And He gave ear to me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;
My hand was stretched out in the night without ceasing;
My soul refused to be comforted.
I remembered God, and was troubled;
I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed.
Selah

There are times when I feel so selfish, cheated and angry that I can't sleep. I can't get the thoughts out of my head and I can't justify them with the God that I know. I seek comfort but I myself torment myself with my own attitude. God cannot comfort me when I only seek to be comforted by selfishness. Why can't I just give up?! Why is it so hard to die to self!? I have nobody to blame but myself and yet I search for someone else, anyone else to point to. But I can't escape myself. My sin is always before me (Psalm 51). My only answer is to meditate on God and dwell on His sacrifice for me until all I see is Christ. To remember His suffering is to lose sight of mine. To seek the Lord is to lose sight of myself.

God - take away my selfish indignation and self-centeredness. Make me lose sight of me and see only You. Forgive me. Make me new again. Amen

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

thank you for seeking God and leading me