Thursday, February 19, 2009

Delight in Anxiety

Psalm 94:19
In the multitude of my anxieties within me,
Your comforts delight my soul.

Anxiety and worry are a part of life. Relationship issues, conflict, confusion, sin and its effects are all part of our daily struggles and plague our thoughts. The psalm writer boldly acknowledges this and does not paint over it with Christian piety or minimize it with religious posturing. Instead, in honesty and vulnerability he reveals his struggle and sets it in contract not to his own strength or courage but to God's comforts. What are God's comforts?... Justice (1-7), Understanding (8-11), Instruction (12), Rest, (13), Presence (14), Defense (16&22), help (17), Mercy (18). In the multitude of anxiety, God's comforts are multiplied and produce delight... not just comfort. I can have joy in the midst of many trials and troubles. I can delight in God. What a joy!

God - teach me to focus on Your comforts in the midst of my troubles and help me find delight in You. Amen

No comments: