Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Holy Spirit

Luke 1:15 - "For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb." - John the Baptist
Luke 1:35 - "And the angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God." - Mary
Luke 1:41 - "And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit." - Elizabeth
Luke 1:67 - "Now his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied," - Zacharias

There is so much I do not understand about the Holy Spirit and how He fits into and works out God's will and plan. It's probably a good thing I do not understand, even a little bit - if I did I might be tempted to try to manipulate God (Acts 8:18). Besides, who wants a Holy Spirit that is perceivable by the human mind? I would never submit to or fer an authority that I viewed as my equal or one that was predictable.
That being said, I wish I understood more about the Holy Spirit. I wish I had a relationship with Him the way that Jesus did (Luke 4:1, 4:14, 4:18, 10:21). I wish I heard His voice more often and more clearly. I wish I felt His filling and presence more powerfully. I wish I demonstrated His power and joy more faithfully. I wish I knew His filling and His calling moment by moment so that I might also do His work.

Holy Spirit - fill me with Your presence and speak to me. Guide me to do your work and to point others to Jesus Christ. Let me know and display Your power and joy to those I encounter today and each day. Amen.

No comments: