Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Correction & Humility

Proverbs 13:18
Poverty and shame will come to him who disdains correction,
But he who regards a rebuke will be honored.

Two things stand out to me in this proverb. First, Solomon does not suggest that honor comes to those who do not need correction or rebuke. Life is not about perfection or performance but about humility and growth. Wisdom is humility, not perfection.
Second, the fool despises gentle correction while the wise man can receive even strong discipline or rebuke. Receiving correction is not about the strength or sting of the rebuke but about the heart of the one receiving it.
To illustrate the difference, think of how some people approach traffic cops. Some people get angry at being asked to redirect their route or stop for cross traffic; gentle correction. Yet a wise man will even receive and appreciate a traffic ticket when he has erred.
I want to be the kind of man who receives and appreciates even the strongest rebuke so that I may be honored and I may honor my Lord.

Father - humble me and make me wise to receive correction and honest rebuke. Teach me to be teachable and accountable. Amen.

No comments: