Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Hate Evil?

Proverbs 8:13
The fear of the LORD is to hate evil;
Pride and arrogance and the evil way
And the perverse mouth I hate.

Most of my life I have not hated evil or sin. I have disliked some evil and tolerated other. However, hate evil I have not. I have hated the consequences but never seemed to be wise enough to draw that hate back to the rood cause, sin. And in looking here at what Solomon associates with evil; pride, arrogance, perversion,... I must admit that I have more often embraced evil than hated it.
It is only recently that I have come to understand hatred of sin and evil. I've seen kids in my ministry ripped apart by a parent's selfishness, sin and divorce. I have seen marriages of those I love disintegrate under the poisons of greed, lust, resentment and arrogance. I have seen ambition, dishonesty, independence and secrecy topple the strongest of businesses. I've seen power, pride, fear, apathy and ignorance crumble our nations strong economy. I've finally begun to see sin and evil for what it is and I can say now that I truly hate them.I'm still not sure what to do about it or if my hatred really comes from a fear of the Lord or simply my own agitation... but I'm on that road. I want to know Him, to fear Him, to hate evil and to live according to the truth of this passage.

God - teach me to fear You. Teach me to hate evil. Teach me to know what to do about it. Amen.

No comments: