Friday, September 11, 2009

God's heart interest

Proverbs 15:8
The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD,
But the prayer of the upright is His delight.

God is interested in my heart. If my heart is bent toward evil it does not matter what my hands bring to Him. No sacrifice, service or ritual could satisfy God's demand for righteousness. Posturing and false piety only makes my standing with a Holy God more dangerous. This is hypocrisy; fresh water cannot flow from a salty heart and good fruit cannot come from a rotten tree (James 3:10-12).
Conversely, to those whose hearts are righteous, God delights - even desires to answer their prayers. His heart interest in the righteous is their heart's desire (Psalm 37:4). The prayers uttered from a heart of righteousness are a sweet sacrifice to the Lord, more valuable than riches and sacrifice.
So, how is my heart?

Lord - purify by heart and let my prayers be a sweet smelling sacrifice to You in which You can delight. Amen.

No comments: