Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Mercy

Proverbs 14:21 & 31
He who despises his neighbor sins;
But he who has mercy on the poor, happy is he....
He who oppresses the poor reproaches his Maker,
But he who honors Him has mercy on the needy.

Much is revealed about a person bu looking at how he or she approaches the poor; be it financially, physically, socially, emotionally, mentally or spiritually. If I neglect the poor, I fail to recognize the image of God in which they were created. Furthermore, I disregard their value and the truth by which it is assigned; the redemptive work or Christ in his death and resurrection. If a person truly understands and values the creative and redemptive work of God it will be reflected in how he or she treats the poor.
Not only does mercy reflect one's heart fro God, but it also fills it. The unmerciful are filled with selfishness, pride, judgmentalism, fear, envy and the like. But happiness and contentment fill those whose view of God leads them to mercy. They are filled to the point of overflowing. Ultimately, the secret to happiness and contentment is to know and pass on the great mercy of our creator and redeemer.

Father - make me more merciful, generous, patient and understanding. Fill me to the point of overflowing with happiness and contentment that I may honor You even more in how I care for those in need. Amen.

No comments: