Friday, September 18, 2009

The Name of the Lord

Proverbs 18:10-11
The name of the LORD is a strong tower;
The righteous run to it and are safe.
The rich man’s wealth is his strong city,
And like a high wall in his own esteem.

The name of the Lord is provider, protector, comfort, defender, redeemer, rewarder, savior and so much more. If the Lord is for me, who can be against me? (Rom. 8:31). I only need to utter the name of the Lord in prayer to be found in the safety of His strong tower - no matter where I am on the battlefield. His name miraculously transports my spirit and standing to His presence, His safety, His security.
The rich man however depends on his wealth and possessions for security and deliverance. To him they are his city - but they only seem secure. Like the walls of a city they can be scaled and topple first - but the towers stand strong. Wealth comes and goes, blessings fade, even the Lord gives and takes away; but the name of the Lord lasts forever, blessed be the Name of the Lord (Job 1:21, Psalm 135:13).
The wise man will learn and meditate on the Name of the Lord. In times of trouble he will be saved in every way.

Father, teach me to know Your name, to rest in Your identity, to lean on your reputation - not my own. Be my strong tower, my refuge, my comfort and my salvation. Amen.

A few Hebrew names of God to meditate on...

Adonai-Jehovah -- The Lord our Sovereign
El-Elyon -- The Lord Most High
El-Olam -- The Everlasting God
El-Shaddai -- The God Who is Sufficient for the Needs of His People
Jehovah-Elohim -- The Eternal Creator
Jehovah-Jireh -- The Lord our Provider
Jehovah-Nissi -- The Lord our Banner
Jehovah-Ropheka -- The Lord our Healer
Jehovah-Shalom -- The Lord our Peace
Jehovah-Tsidkenu -- The Lord our Righteousness
Jehovah-Mekaddishkem -- The Lord our Sanctifier
Jehovah-Sabaoth -- The Lord of Hosts
Jehovah-Shammah -- The Lord is Present
Jehovah-Rohi -- The Lord our Shepherd
Jehovah-Hoseenu -- The Lord our Maker
Jehovah-Eloheenu -- The Lord our God

No comments: