Monday, September 7, 2009

Upside-down Economics

Proverbs 11:24-25
There is one who scatters, yet increases more;
And there is one who withholds more than is right,
But it leads to poverty.
The generous soul will be made rich,
And he who waters will also be watered himself.

God's principles of economics and resource management seem so upside-down from the worlds. The world says store up for later. God says scatter and water generously. The world says poverty comes from saving little, God says poverty comes from giving little. The world says provide for your future, God says provide for your neighbors.

I think what I like most about this proverbs is the analogies to sowing seed, planting, watering and nurturing. It reminds me that I should be investing in living things, growing things, people. When I turn my resources toward my neighbor I too am watered, nurtured and rewarded with joy when I give.

These proverbs are true because God is the Great Gardener who makes all seed grow. We may sow, water and tend the soil but God alone brings growth (1 Cor. 3:6-8).

Father, teach me to be more generous with all that You have given me. Help me scatter generously and reap abundantly as I give... that I may give more. Let me be a testimony to the world of Your provision and faithfulness. Amen.

No comments: