Friday, May 16, 2008

Care for the Body

1 Corinthians 12:25
"there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another."

I confess that I am guilty of creating schisms rather than caring for certain brothers and sisters in the body. When I find someone who id difficult, who I don't gel with or who I disagree with on even good things like ministry - I create gaps between us and distance myself from them. When it becomes difficult, I just walk away and do things on my own. I confess that this is wrong. I would never say that the other person is not necessary in the body or in my life... but my actions would betray me.
Instead of (and far from) walking away and creating division, I need to embrace and care for those members. I need to rightly recognize the honor God has given them. I need to learn how our unique gifts, personalities, passions, priorities, etc... interact and compliment the body. I must find our areas of compatibility. And where we are different, I must exercise care and compassion, granting the honor due to them. And I must be constant and diligent in doing this.

Lord - help me to get over myself. Make me a more humble, aware and caring part of Your body. Help me celebrate the variety and compatibility in Your awesome design of the church. Amen.

No comments: