Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Maturity & Knowledge

1 Corinthians 14:20
"Brethren, do not be children in understanding; however, in malice be babes, but in understanding be mature."

Understanding is an interesting thing. Knowledge as Paul wrote in 1 Cor. 8:1 "puffs up." When we think we know something we are more prone to take a stand and become contentious. We can become divisive and even malicious. But true and complete understanding is founded in love. "Love builds up." Building up the body of Christ is what all spiritual gifts and knowledge are about. If my knowledge leads to division, I would be better off as a child. Children know and understand very little but extend love to everyone without prejudice. It's interesting that as I look at y life I find my pursuits to be knowledge and not love. This has only served to make me immature regarding love and true spirituality... and mature in division. Instead, my pursuit should be love for the building up and edification of the body of Christ and those around me.

Father, guide me in love and give me a childlike innocence that builds up your Body and those around me. Amen.

No comments: